1. Wed 4/22: crash reported on Strava by Citizen Southbound at “jog” 2. Sun 4/26 530am. Cyclist northbound at south end near bottom of descent out of SB. Details in SB Group per Citizen. 3. Sun 4/26 1030am. Northbound about same location as 530am crash. Witnessed by Citizen. 4. Mon 4/27: “family of children”. Mentioned in comment by Citizen in Swamis Group. 5. Wed 4/29: reported as #3 by Citizen. Cyclist southbound hits wheel stop at “the jog”. Broken pelvis confirmed by Citizen, friend of victim. 6. Wed 4/29 “I was riding south, just south of Las Olas, and hit a berm. I was lucky in that I didn't sustain any serious bodily injury, there was a deputy sheriff there who witnessed it, and wrote up a report. I contacted the city of encinitas who gave me the phone number of the contractor. I called him and he said he'd reimburse me for my destroyed sunglasses and helmet... I'll take my chances with disgruntled drivers, but the bike lane is more dangerous, even now that the berms have been painted. It's apparent that whoever designed this has never ridden a bike.” - Citizen 7. Sun 5/3: 10 year old boy in bikeway is cut-off by another cyclist, swerves to avoid a pedestrian, and hits wheel stop which throws him into traffic lane. Report by parent on nextdoor. 8. Sun 5/3: Another child hit wheel stop and crashed reported by Citizen. “Sunday I had a young boy try to ride through the berms Southbound to avoid walkers. He crashed and took the guy behind him down. We were able to stop in time. This traffic solution is a mess and someone will surely get killed before it is a month old!” “I’m pretty sure it was a different incident. The kid was alone and didn’t end up out into the traffic lane.” 9. Wed 5/13. Witnessed by Citizen. Documented in Strava. Injuries apparently not serious. Details coming. 10. Tue 5/26. Husband of Citizen. Southbound just after Chesterfield. Experienced randonneur Citizen snagged bollard with handlebar when trying to avoid pedestrians in confusing situation, lost control, hit wheelstops, and crashed. Aided by surfers. Fractures. 11. Wed 5/27. Boyfriend of Citizen witnessed bike vs ped-w/-surfboard crash aftermath scene. Both males. Northbound side approaching Chesterfield. 12. Wed 6/3. Reported by Citizen “On Wednesday I was riding south on the 101, actually in the bike lane and not in the sharrows, just for kicks. A runner was also in the bike lane (we were still in the section with the pedestrian walkway). This runner decided to cross the road (not at a crosswalk), and tripped over one of the "safety" curbs.”
"Danger! It's not just for cyclists anymore." 13. Thur 6/4 reported 7am by Citizen: “Just saw a biker down on coast highway surrounded by his bike buddies. Just passed the ambulance on the way. Also “northbound just south of Kraken”.
NOTE: That’s near the wheel stop I (Citizen) nearly hit.
14. medical emergency 1035am 6/9/2020. Reported by Citizen: “guy on an electric unicycle [one wheel skate board] hit one of the barriers, crashed and husband called 911 who said if he didn’t have to go to the hospital they wouldn’t do anything. A Sherrif gave the guy a ride to the place he was staying. He was shamed up and bloody “
15. Wed 6/24/2020. Per Citizen 6/25 email and follow up email from victim Citizen on 6/29. “I was riding [southbound in front of Pacific Coast Grill at 2526 S Coast Highway] behind a friend & slightly to her left while I was talking to her. She exited off the main road onto the bike path. I followed her. The next thing I knew, the pole was in front of me & I knew I was going to hit it. I have attached a photo. I have been outright in saying that my attention was not what it should be. However, people have said to me: yes, but you did not expect a pole to be there!” Injuries: “Minor (road-rash on right knee & right elbow, bruised right hip)”
16. Fri July 3, 2020. Cyclist avoiding cycle trap hit from behind by car just after sunset while riding in sharrow lane southbound climbing hill just passed Seaside beach entrance. Reported by Citizen as witnessed by her daughter.
17. Fri July 10, 2020. Bike vs ped crash apparently due to sand in cycle trap. See: https://seeclickfix.com/issues/8164906
18. Thu July 29, 2020. Injury crash due to construction fencing southbound by restaurants snagging the handlebar of a bike. Reported by Citizen. Because of the obstacles there is no way to keep a safe distance if you choose to ride in the trap.
19. July 29/30: Per Citizen: “My sister in law, who is an avid cycler, was visiting from out of town and brought her bike here to bike. She grew up here and knows the area but now lives out of state. Last Wednesday or Thursday, July 29/30, she was riding her bike northbound and in front of Kai’s and hit one of the new curb things with her tire. She said the bike path curves slightly at that point. She fell hard and was banged up very bad but did not require a trip to the hospital. A nurse was nearby and helped bandage her up and stayed with her until we were able to pick her up. Her bike was unrideable and repairs to her bike are around $750. She also hit her head and tweaked her back. Fortunately, she is recovering. “
Note by Citizen: I almost hit this same particular wheel stop a couple of months ago. Totally agree the gap preceding on a curve is pathological.
20. Monday, August 3: Per Citizen and Citizen: Female cyclist down today at 1:45pm. South bound in the bike way in the section after the Cardiff Kook and bridge but before Pacific Coast Grill. Her pedal evidently got caught up in the orange construction fence. Paramedics were on the scene and the rider had a neck brace on. She was transported by ambulance.
21. Friday, September 4 2020 12:45 pm per Citizen: my friend Citizen just called to tell me a cyclist was down and paramedics are on the scene. Southbound, between the Kook and the lagoon outlet bridge. I hope the person is ok. Paramedic EFD call at 12:25pm confirmed on PulsePoint app.